Friday, June 11, 2010

Shooting Style - working with children




Hopefully it won't turn out like the pic!


As I'm working with kids on this film I've had to think long and hard about the shooting style. It's pretty evident that dealing with kids this young means learning lines will be an issue - both in terms of memory and actual performance. As such, I'm aiming to prod them in the right direction and let them ad lib a bit - let them say it in their own words.

So I'll need to cover things in longer, more dynamic takes, or else continuity will go out the window. There's no telling a 4 year old to hit the same mark!

So, another challenge. To keep a long take interesting means using something more like a moving master shot - moving from a wide into midshots, then moving again to a 2 shot et cetera. Try and get as much as possible in one shot without keeping the camera static. This will take time and will alter the way we light too - who knows what's going to be in shot.

I'm going to do some work with the kids next week, to get them used to what I'm trying to achieve. I just received a wide angle and a telephoto lens for my HV30 which I'll use for the tests. We'll be shooting on an EX-3 for the film itself.

I did some work with Jamie last night, teasing performances and headspaces out of him. It gave me an idea what it'll be like on set - hence the need to make things simple but clever.

Looking forward to it.

Many thanks to all who've funded so far.

I've added a donate button at the top of the page - there is no minimum amount for this. IF you want to drop whatever amount you want to me it would be much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment