Friday, August 13, 2010

For a Few Dollars More...




So this week I realised I had to kill some of my darlings.
I was happy with the editing cut but something was niggling me. I went and watched it again with Anna Maria (the editor) and it became very clear. We had to cut a scene and shoot a replacement.

I had already planned on doing a few pickups, mainly audio, and a few shots to make it more seamless. It can be difficult working with kids to keep up the continuity for cutting, eye-lines, et cetera. So I had a short list of shots to pick up.

Now, however, I realised something more was needed. The scene just wasn't working. It slowed down the pace and didn't add to the story, - while, at the same time, there was an element of the story I wanted to make clearer.

Therefore, we're going to shoot a new scene to replace it.

And of course this costs money. I was already concerned as a few sponsors didn't make the final kick (and actually give me the donation!) and I had eaten into money that really shouldn't have been eaten into!



But to go back a little, before I started shooting I had an idea.

I wondered, would it be possible to approach irish film societies and see if, for the same fee they would normally pay for a rental from the excellent access>CINEMA, they would, instead invest in the film and get a preview screening ahead of release? access>CINEMA are a great resource for independent film clubs. They sort out the film rights, you hire from their incredible catalogue of films, and you have a very easy film club with incredible films.

I approached access>CINEMA about it and they liked the idea. I drew up some information that was forwarded to their members and I'm delighted to announce that 7 film Societies will be screening 'The Lost Backpack' once complete. I intend on presenting the film at as many of these screenings as possible and I've left myself open to the societies - they can follow the journey with me.

So a huge thank you to access>CINEMA, film societies, film lovers and all of you who've helped me along the way.

Please check out www.accesscinema.ie for information on film societies screening near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment